Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Backlink Experiment: Before & After

As mentioned in my past few posts, I've been busy backlinking my niche sites and blogs and eHow articles to improve their placement in the search engine result pages (SERPs), increase traffic and ultimately to earn more through ad clicks and affiliate purchases.

One of the eHow articles I backlinked showed a dramatic increase in views and earnings that can't be attributed to seasonal factors as it is one of those "evergreen" articles not particularly affected by the time of year. In fact, its previous best month was in the spring.

Here's what How to Get Applications for Free Personal Government Grants looked like at the end of October, before the backlink:

And here's how it's doing today, with views jumping by 2,000 in less than two months and earnings nearly quadrupling:


After a decent first two months when it was initially published, the article had nosedived for the next three months until I gave it a good article database backlink on Oct. 29, 2010. From that point, it took off:

I found this little one-article example very interesting -- crazy how one simple back-link (albeit from a very well-ranked source) could have such a profound effect so quickly.

Have I convinced you yet about the power of a good backlink? If not, I'll follow up shortly with an update on my affiliate earnings in recent months and how backlinks have contributed to that success, too.

6 comments:

Alicia James said...

Yes I am convinced! Good to hear that your back linking strategy worked well. So did you do most of the linking with e-zine articles or other methods? I need to get on the ball.

Kidgas said...

I, too, am convinced. My question is what article database? Is that the name of the site? Please share so that I can experiment as well. Thanks.

Felicia said...

Pretty impressive. I guess I'll have to include backlinking on my 2011 to do list.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, looks like I'd better get busy! Back links seem to be what I need to get working on also.

jpwriter said...

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the increase is because of the economy. The name of the article seems pretty enticing, so seeing how it picked up around the holiday season, perhaps it was the holiday frustration.

And, backlinking of course. Backlinks are definitely part of the overall strategy to win and earn online.

Bess Collins said...

I knew that backlinks were important, but you have just shown me just how important they really are. Thank you!