Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Tips on WAHM Success in the New Year

It's a new year, traditionally a time to start fresh, make goals and set out to achieve what eluded us in the previous year. My big goal, which admittedly is a several-years goal, is to build up a full-time residual income through content articles, niche websites, and eventually a print book, before I turn 30.

For 2009, I would like to double my average 2008 monthly residual income by the end of the year. It's a big project for me, especially since my life is filled with three lovely children who are not yet in school, and I have a very limited amount of time to write each day. Only by setting realistic daily agendas will I have any hope of accomplishing what I've set out to do.
Tip: Break down your yearly resolutions into monthly, weekly and daily goals. Write them down and refer to them at the start of each day.
For example, one of my goals for the new year is to add to my existing niche sites as well as create several new ones to diversify my residual income. But with such an open-ended goal, it's important to give myself actionable daily and weekly tasks to ensure I ultimately reach that goal.

Today, my task for this goal was to add a new page, based on one related keyword phrase, to my pets-themed website. I did it first thing this morning, before turning to the editing work I do for one of my few remaining clients (I let almost all of my clients go after reaching my residual income goals. But this one is a friend's father, and I still do occasional editing or proofreading jobs for him).

Another one of my goals is to add a new eHow article each day. I have many drafts, so finding ideas isn't my struggle, but I am behind on writing and mean to catch up this week. It's just that since earnings have been down on eHow since the site changes, writing my own niche sites has kind of become more my focus in the past couple months.

For efficiency, I use the Motivated Moms Full Size Planner, which really helps me stay on track with my weak spot: home organization and cleaning. On the same planner, I note daily writing tasks and miscellaneous appointments. By referring to this at the start of each day, I can stay on task and plan the day effectively.

The most important ingredient to my success in the writing and income sector of my life (as well as my sanity!) is to schedule in at least two hours a day in which I can write uninterrupted while the children sleep. For me, this is 5:30 to 7:30 a.m. And it means I have to get to bed early to function well.

Tip: Find the best hours to work while your children are sleeping or at school and take full advantage of this time.
If you are a night owl, you may do best in the evening after the kids are in bed. Personally, I can't write late at night. I am completely ineffective after about 9 pm. But if this is your best time -- do it then. Turn off the TV, ignore distractions, and accomplish your goals.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you get up at 5.30am and start writing! I have to snatch time when I can, but for me, evening works best.

Anonymous said...

Breaking down your yearly goals by months then weeks and then days is something I am focusing on to achieve my goals.

I give you credit for being able to get up early to write. I am the one that is online after 9pm doing all of my work.

Anonymous said...

Breaking down your goals by monthly even weekly goals is a good idea. I have lofty goals for this year, but already 2 weeks into it i've got little done. When I get home tomight i'll break it down into some realistic weekly/monthly steps. Thanks for the tip!

Deb Powers said...

Great tips - and I really should heed them. Actually, I just wanted to say I love your blog already. Lots of handy information sharing! Thanks for hooking up with me on eHow!

Anonymous said...

You are really a inspiration. I too have three kids at home and sometimes it is hard make time work when all you want to do is veg out on the couch from exhaustion. I do my work at night, but sometimes I wonder if I should really be writing when I am half a sleep. Ehow has been great to me also, now I just have to get to learning other ways to diversify my passive income.

Jamie said...

I so need to create a plan. Organization is not my strong suit - I have ideas galore, but need to buckle down and work on them!

Thanks for another timely post.

Unknown said...

Wow, you are arn inspiration! I know how much work freelance writing involves--especially when you want to earn an income from it. I really admire your grit.

I'm in a good place right now because my children are grown so I can devote most of my time to writing but for those with young children, the hat must go off!!!

Anonymous said...

You're so welcome! Your ebook is what really kicked me into high gear about focusing more and actually making money online. It is very possible. I'm so thankful for your ebook - you're a great inspiration and I hope the best for you in the New Year! :)

*Also, there is so much to niche websites. Breaking down the actions you need to take to get them all set up is a great idea. Great blog post.